[ic] County + State tax

Bob Ramstad interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jul 24 14:03:00 2001

Russ Mann said:

> I have a state tax of 5% to implement, and an additional county tax of
> .5% in the event that a customer comes from the same county.  Is there
> a way to do this in IC?  Possibly based on zip codes?

>From personal experience, be sure this is what you want to do and
legally correct before doing any coding.

Here in Washington state, there are various city, county and state
taxes, but if you ship within the state, you MUST still charge the
appropriate tax for your location, as the sale is considered to have
taken place at the location of business.

For example, our main warehouse is located in King County within the
city limits of Seattle.  By Washington state law, we must charge our
local sales tax (the highest in the state) whenever we ship anywhere
within the state, as the sale officially takes place at the
warehouse.  (The shipping afterwards is just incidental.)

Of course, it is entirely possible that New York is different, but it
might not be.  In the not too recent past, I was implementing a very
confusing system with literally dozens of different rates only to
discover that it was all moot...

Hope this helps!

-- Bob