[ic] CGI(?) problem with demo-catalog on SuSE

Erich Schreiber interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Thu Jul 26 09:52:01 2001

 Just for the records and for those SuSE users, who are hit by the same
problem: I’ve got IC running on my SuSE 7.1.

1. When installing IC on SuSE as root, you need a login-shell (not ‘su’ but
‘su –‘), otherwise some tests in the configure script will fail.

2. The binary ‘construct’ in the cgi-bin that produced the ‘Unrecognized
character \x7F’ error in the PerlRun modul is either the renamed vlink or
tlink executable that forwards the requests via a Unix- or Inet-domain
socket to the interchange demon that is listening on localhost:7786. The
decision which Apache handler is evoked to execute the call is done by the
SetHandler directive in the appropriate <Location ...> sector of the
httpd.conf.

3. ‘cgi-bin’ worked for me, the ‘cgi-perl’ that was suggested by the makecat
script produced the error. But in the interchange/src directory there are
several different versions of the socket drivers (C, Perl, and even a
loadable Apache module) so this might work with mod_perl too. I didn’t check
it.

4. I got the demo catalog working with the INET-domain socket driver tlink.
For this I edited the /etc/hosts.allow (my hosts.deny is ALL:ALL) and the
/etc/services file to add ‘interchange: localhost’ and ‘interchange 7786/TCP
’. If this was really necessary for a localhost connection I didn’t check
either.

Erich Schreiber