[ic] Beginner - Please don't laugh!

RobertTrembath interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Mon Jul 30 11:10:01 2001

Simon,
First of all, If you don't have any experience with Linux, you need to
spend some time learning Linux. Download it for free from Redhat.com or
buy a CD for $40 USD from Red Hat or a retail store and install it on a
old or extra machine you have. Buy a book on Linux and how to use it ( I
recommend
  the "Mastering Red Hat Linux" series. )

Then I would install the Webmin from www.webmin.com

Webmin is a web-based GUI for Linux that will let you administrate 95%
of your Linux Admin tasks remotely with a small learning curve. You can
then use the webmin interface to install the rpm version as well as the
PERL modules via CPAN under the PERL Modules section of Webmin.

I found this to be the shortest path to success as Red Hat 7.1 supports
alot of hardware and will automatically configure it and has an easy
installation routine. Webmin is very strait forward and the rpm version
of Interchange is painless. In my experience if you don't know anything
about Linux, install everything as there are some Development modules
needed that can be accidently skipped. For a beginner, that what I
advise.

Hope this helps!