[ic] Bugs ?

Matthew Schick interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jun 5 22:36:00 2001

On 06 Jun 2001 08:59:06 +0700, utomo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 08:44:06 -0400
> From: Jason Kohles <jkohles@redhat.com>
> To: interchange-users@developer.akopia.com
> Subject: Re: [ic] Bugs ?
>
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 08:43:15AM +0700, utomo wrote:
> >The developer site is being updated and apparently the wishlist has
> >been removed for now.
>
> Thanks for your info. better to take it for a moment.
>
> >And nearly all of those bugs are in the development version, which is to be
> >expected from software that isn't finished yet.  I don't think anyone wants
> >us to get the bug list down to 0, since the only way to do that would be to
> >stop adding new features to Interchange and just give you version 4.6 for
> >the rest of your life.
>
> I understand now. Better to separate it from bugs of last stable version,
> and bugs which belong to development version. If not this will make people
> confuse.
>
> >> Other things is:
> >> - I hope Interchange can provide Interchange for Win, Not only *nix. I
> >> believe still Many Win server around the world. So if Interchange
> available
> >> for Win, the name of the Interchange is real (Not Limited Interchange),
> and
> >> will be able to grab more target than before.
>
> >Red Hat is primarily a linux company, and so the software they create is
> for
> >the most part linux software (you don't see Microsoft releasing versions of
> >their software for linux do you?)  The great thing about open source is
> that
> >if you want a windows version, nobody is stopping you from porting it.
>
> This is one of the big different, between Microsoft and other company. Other
> company make decission just by what they think (not what user think), by
> proud or what they think at current time, but Microsoft is doing by what
> customer/user think, and business strategy for long run.
> I think many people still remember when Microsoft Include the Java VM in the
> IE ( they will not include it anymore in IE 6/Win XP), and when they new
> with Win 3.11 (still using DOS), and now they try to minimizing/eliminating
> DOS, when they new with Internet they follow other people standard, but when
> they dominating the browser they try to make a rules/standard. and many
> other things. (But this is not same with I suggest you to do a same strategy
> as Microsoft).
> - This is little bit different, Red Hat Interchange is Red Hat products, why
> you releasing version for Suse, Mandrake, etc ?
> my 2 cents please consider again this.

Microsoft does not make decisions based on the consumer's needs/wants.  If you
look at their track record, every decision made is about the bottom line.  Take the
proposed changes in the licensing on the next round of products.  To re-install
you will have to call Microsoft to get a new #.  Talk about a pain in the *ss.  Try having
to do a complete format/install and having to wait on hold for 30 mins while folks are
needing their system up and going. As far as their adherence to W3C's HTML standards goes,
it's one of the worst out. Again, MS is far less interested in 'playing ball' with others
than it is making them buy their brand of the ball.

I am not speaking for the folks at Red Hat but IMHO, the reason behind releasing Interchange
for the various flavors of linux is quite simple:  It's all linux.

> >> - Also if possible please just provide one package for all, not like now
> we
> >> have RPM for Red Hat Linux 7; an RPM for Red Hat Linux 6 and Linux
> Mandrake;
> >> and Debian GNU/Linux packages.
>
> >Hate to disappoint you, but this is fundamentally impossible.  If you are
> using
> >Red Hat Linux, you need RPMs, if you are using Debian you need Debian
> packages,
> >the alternative to doing it this way is to distribute only the .tar.gz file
> and
> >make everyone compile and install it themselves, if you would prefer that,
> the
> >.tar.gz is available for you.
>
> This is also one of the problem of the Linux Vs Microsoft.
> All Linux companies/guys did not working together with good strategy to
> Improve Linux, but they work in their own strategy.
> If people must have many version for each software, this will become a
> problem (even only small problem).
> After so long time, just not so ling time ago Linux realize this.
> - Now the important things for Linux: Driver , Development tools, and
> Training. Installation and GUI is almost OK.

This is the area that is truly holding linux back.  A lack of a set of
standards that as been agreed upon and adhered to by software
developers.  Things are much better now that even a year or two ago, but
still far from good.  Keep in mind, it's much easier to define standards
when one company (Microsoft) dominates the market.

> > If you review the mailing list you will also see that there is a lot of
> work
> > going into improving the documentation, in fact we have a full time
> technical
> > writer doing nothing but documentation.  Docs don't appear overnight, they
> > take work.
>
> Thanks. and Please add more Q&A/FAQ. any estimation schedule ?
>
> > Interchange supports several payment providers, and 4.8 will support even
> > more since the payment processing has been completely rewritten.  The cost
> > of the provider is between you and your processor, we don't have anything
> > to do with what they charge you.
>
> Thanks
> I talking the cost Red Hat asking/charge to that company (processor), if you
> asking too high: not so much company will interest. I think we must do a Win
> Win solution, if the provider is new/not popular you can charge more, but if
> the provider is popular, maybe you can negotiate the cost, because they will
> add your selling point.

Red Hat does not provide credit card processing services (CCVS not
withstanding).  Maybe partnerships with some of the companies could
benefit the further development of Interchange, but then you get into a
whole new can of worms.  How would they charge for such?  There have
been several modules written by folks that have no affiliation with Red
Hat or Interchange.  If RH started profiting directly from the work that
these folks have put into this, some noses might get bent out of shape.
This goes back to the conundrum that is Open Source software.  How to
make money from free software.

These are my opinions after a day of developing with interchange.  They
may or may not make any sense, or even have a basis in reality.  I just
had to put my .02 worth in on this.

Matt