[ic] interchange html4 validation problems

Murray Gibbins interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Fri Jun 8 09:14:00 2001

cfm@maine.com wrote:

> The & as a query string delimiter has been around since day one.  Maybe
> you were not validating HTML4?  Or is GET deprecated entirely?

You are confusing two standards. It may have been around since day one in CGI
but not in HTML where the spec clearly forbids it. They are trying to solve the
situation by urging people not to use it any more in CGI syntax incorperated
into HTML.

GET is a HTTP protocol not HTML.

> Go to google and search on something with more than one word.  Go
> to any other dynamic site and check out the same.
>
> Look at all your perl CGI libraries (I say perl because those are
> the easiest ones.)  Then look at your C CGI libaries.

just coz poeple have made mistakes in the past with their libraries doesn't
excuse interchange from breaking it's own libraries when it doesn't have to and
didn't in the past.

> Don't worry about that.  It is UK policy to support only Microsoft and IE; see
> the slashdot article maybe a week ago about the new gov't sites.  :-)  You
> won't be able to use IC until it is ported to Windows anyway.

I work for the company that is doing validation checks on the uk gov stuff for
the uk gov, so there :-P
I also helped write and research the "e-business Smart guide for Web
accessibility" for the Scottish Enterprise Network

http://www.scottish-enterprise.com/ebusiness

We make them support Lynx if we can. Just to make sure browsers for the blind
can read the pages.

Acutally if we tell our clients we are HTML4 copatable and they then go and
check it with the w3c validator they are going to come back to us and demand an
explanation.

Yours
Murray

--