[ic] Can't Get MySQL running with IC

Brian Teague interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Sat Jun 9 11:21:01 2001

Ralph Alberti wrote:

> Are you telling me that I need to create an Interchange user in MySQL
> for
> his to work? Interch?

well...i guess you *could* do it as root.  but i'm not sure, from a
security point of view, i would be incredibly comfortable doing that.

> I have been creating the catalogs as root and root has permissions in
> MySQL to create, drop, etc... in MySQL.

here's how i went about it.

firstly, i didn't want the makecat script to create the DB for me.  if
you create it yourself, you can make sure the interch user can access it
before you go about actually creating your new catalog.

you can read through a MySQL book or tutorial (there's a pretty good one
on the MySQL website) to tell you how to do these things manually.  me,
i'm a wimp, and prefer to let the scripts that come w/ MySQL do it for
me.  so, log in as root.  run mysql_setpermission, and give it your DBA
password (assuming you set one!!)  select #2, give it a database name, a
username (interch) and a password (whatever you want.)  when it asks
from what host you wish to connect, you should probably say 'localhost',
though a '%' for any host would be safe.  tell it "y", you want to
implement this, then exit the program.

now.  before you run 'makecat', make *sure* you can access that database
as that user.  run 'mysql -u USERNAME -p'  (replacing USERNAME with
whatever user you selected), and give it the password when it asks.  if
you *can* connect to the database server, try 'use DBNAME;', where
DBNAME is the name of the database you created.  try creating a
temporary table, then dropping it.

if that works, you're good to go.  one final thing:  in the mysql
client, 'use mysql;' then 'select * from db;'  check that, for the user
/ db you just created (probably on the last line) you have 'Y' set for
all the privleges but 'Grant_priv.'

try makecat (make SURE to give it the right user, db, password!) then
restart your interchanger server.  you should get a bunch of stuff
scrolling by as it creates the default databases.

if it still doesn't work, reply with the contents of 'use mysql;',
'select * from db;', and 'select * from user;'

> I've been using most of the defaults I am presented with during the
> makecat scripts.

one more thing.  are you using Linux?  i coulnd't get 'sockets' to work
for me, i had to use the INET setting.  that tricked me up for, oh, 8
hours worth of work.  (-;

--
Brian Teague
Baker '04