[ic] Help on on a solaris 8 box

Chris Rapier interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Thu Jun 14 15:52:01 2001

Larry Caragay wrote:

> make-3.78.1-sol8-intel-local.gz
> Is this the right make??
>
> Also how do I add it to my directory path??? Is that in the program
> interchange or is that in a eg. /usr/bin???
>
> Thanks in advance..

'make' is a program used to compile c programs (amoung other things) in
an automated fashion. If you do not have make you likely do not have a c
compiler. If you do not have a c compiler you can't compile the link
programs that sit in your cgi-bin directory. While binary distributions
probably exist my feeling is that you'll want to make sure you have a c
compiler - otherwise many of those modules are going to be useless as
they have c components to them.

If this is your personally administered Solaris 8 box you'll need to
learn how to do some sysadmin work. This forum probably isn't the right
place to learn it though. If you are using a box administered by someone
else you will want to contact them and make sure you can compile c
programs and locally install perl modules from your account. If you can
then you'll need to make sure they help you set your environment
correctly.

If you are simply interested in having a store and don't plan on doing
minivend consulting then you might want to find an ISP that already
supports minivend/interchange.

Chris