[ic] Performance question.

Gawain Reifsnyder interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Thu Jun 14 17:14:00 2001

At 1:14 PM -0700 on 6/14/01, Caleb Crome wrote:

>Hi,
>	I have a dual PIII, 600 MHZ server with 768 Meg of RAM.  I have the
>construct catalog set up, using interchange 4.6.5, mysql 3.23.36, perl
>5.6.0.  Linux Mandrake 8.0, mysql back end.
>
>When I run
>
>/usr/sbin/ab -c 3 -n 100
>'http://<my_site>/cgi-bin/construct/scan/fi=products/st=db/co=yes/sf=categor
>y/se=Hammers/va=link_image%3d/va=link_banner%3dHand%20Planes.html'
>

>On 'low' performance setting, I get 1.69 requests/second.
>On 'high' performance setting, I get 1.3 requests/second.
>
>Doing the benchmark completely maxes out both processors to 100% during the
>length of the test.  My question is this:  Is that normal?  It seems
>incredibly slow for what I consider to be a pretty fast machine.

We've got a Power Macintosh G4/400 with 400MB of RAM running
YellowDog Linux. We have the construct catalog set up with
Interchange 4.6.5 using the built-in database.

We're getting 1.14 requests per second on the same URL on our server.
That does seem slow. We have another store running PHPShop 0.61. It's
probably not an entirely fair comparison, but running a similar test
on a product info page with several database queries gives 3.56 pages
per second. This is a little unnerving, as we're about to deploy a
couple of Interchange-based production stores.

Gawain