[ic] cc number through e-mail

Greg Cope interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Fri Jun 15 04:13:00 2001

Dan B wrote:

> But my main point was not to make fun of you, rather, it was to ask if the
> list knew of any user-installable perl modules that could do encryption in
> the place of PGP for you.  That is what I meant by:

Look at Crypt::RSA - it will be slower than PGP or gnupg.

> >Seriously, if your ISP has Interchange installed, might it be possible
> >find a way to install some sort of encryption program?  Some sort of
> >perl
> >module that does GPG type stuff?  (Anyone?)
>
> Because I recently read on Freshmeat about a complete blowfish
> implementation being done in pure PHP4
> (http://freshmeat.net/projects/blow-4-php/), and thought that there surely
> must be something equivalent of PGP in Perl.
>
> (Again, does anybody know?)

I start this with a disclaimer that I am not an expert!

blowfish is a CBC based algo that uses a shared secret - i.e the pass
phrase has to be on the server to encrypt the plain text.  The same
secret is used to unencrypt.  grep or strings can be used to find the
pass phrase in most code quite easily.

GPG and PGP use public / private based algo's that use different keys to
encypt and decrypt.

<rant>
Why, oh why do so many PHP people seem intent on reiventing things - a
blowfish implementation is avaliable to PHP via libmhash, and its in C
so it will be significantly faster.
</rant>

Go with Mikes advice (its not like he's not got the experience) use PGP
or gnupgp.

Greg