[ic] OS X Install

F. Mitchell Felling II interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jun 19 07:15:00 2001

Help!!

I have been unable to get Interchange to run properly on Mac OS X.  I
believe my problem to be associated with the "interch" user creation.

I have attempted installs creating the user both with the System
Preferences:Users tool and a manual user creation using the NetInfo
Manager (I would prefer this manner.)

In NetInfo I gave the User the following properties:
	realname		Interchange
	uid		72
	gid		70
	passwd		*
	shell		/dev/null
	expire		0
	home		/usr/local/interchange
	change		0
	name		interch

I have successfully installed a Mysql database (which functions
flawlessly with perl cgi's and php scripts that I have tried).  I
have also installed the DBD and DBI, thanks to wonderful posts by
Leonel Silva.

I can su -m interch (-m flag needed since the specified shell is
null) run /bin/interchange.  The server starts, populates the tables
in mysql (on first run) and reports that the Interchange server has
started.

However, when I try to enter the store from
http://localhost/construct I receive a permission denied error (403)
from Apache.  If I chmod -R 755 a bunch of permissions in the catalog
directory and the CGI directory, I can get the construct cgi to
attempt to communicate with the server, at which time I am told the
server is unavailable.  Process Viewer and the top command indicated
it is running normally.  ( I assume normal is for the name to read as
perl?)

I was successful with one install when the user was created with the
Users control panel, but the server would only run when I was logged
in to the "interch" desktop.  I could not log in under my own account
and start the server from a terminal window.  What is more, I would
like to create a startup item so Interchange runs when no one is
logged in, so I can ssh from work and develop from there.

I am running a PowerMac G4 Sawtooth with 576 Meg of ram and OS X.0.3.
I have the default Apache install, Perl 5.6.0 for Darwin, and Mysql
3.23.38.  The only thing I have added to Apache at this time is PHP 4
support.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
--
F. Mitchell Felling II			http://www.orangebullet.com
"Pretty on UNIX-Mac OS X"		mitch@orangebullet.com