[ic] Using existing Oracle database tables

Kyle Cook interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Wed Jun 20 04:13:00 2001

At 09:49 PM 6/19/01, you wrote:
>Hi,
>   I am unable to figure out how to configure  IC to
>use existing Oracle database tables ,instead of
>letting IC create its own tables from the txt
>files.Can anyone help me out please
>   Thanks
>    Neeti

Neeti,

I'm using MySQL with IC, and set up 20+ tables
in one catalog to handle many "extras" like
extended specs data which has 12 tables
from an outside data source.
.

ALL tables were designed and set up manually.

In the case of needing to use IC tags to "get" the
data from the tables (as well as tables like products
which IC uses for price,descrip etc. internally)
I simply inserted the appropriate file (XXX.mysql) into
dbconf directory AND saved an empty XXX.sql file
in the products directory. Then when IC starts, it
reads the definitions from XXX.mysql and since
XXX.sql exists, it does not attempt to "create"
the table, but instead uses the existing one.

Note (at least my version 4.7.?) I can still access
tables that were not given a *.sql or *.mysql file
via the query tag. I can select,update,insert etc,
but CAN NOT (understandably) use IC tags like
[data ......] to read the table because IC
"doesn't know" it exists, about half the tables
are set up this way because of the way they are
used (why bother IC with their definitions if it
will only ever interact via the query tag?)

Hope this helps.

Kyle Cook (KC)