[ic] Quick question before I install

Steffen Dettmer interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jun 26 04:15:00 2001

* FraserValleyBC.com, Tammy wrote on Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 21:35 -0700:

First, I'm very new and what I say may be completly wrong :)

> If I install Interchange in the root, will I be able to place completely
> separate shopping carts on my various users domains?

You have to distinguish between die software and catalog(+www)
install. You should be able to install the software (+daemon)
somewhere public, and the catalogs private. You should be able to
split that over two hosts, one for catalogs, one for www things,
since the daemon can communicate via internet domain sockets.

> If I can provide this then I will install it in the root.

I installed it into /usr/local/interchange. To make the makecat
work, I needed to chown that to the target user, since for some
reason makecat needs write privileges here (it tries to compile
tlink binary here). You could made it writeable for some
shopgroup. After all, it's not the state-of-the-art to need write
permissions here, but AFAIK it's nessacary.

oki,

Steffen