[ic] running the config file?? - NOT

Chris Rapier interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Tue Jun 26 11:15:01 2001

Jim Balcom wrote:

> But, here is a basic: It is best if you are sitting at the console and
> are logged in as root.
> You can also telnet in and do it, but you will need to be able to log
> in as root.
> You are going to have to have root access to be able to get it
> installed.

Thats not true. You do not need root access to install or use
interchange. You can, quite easily, install it in a simple user account
as long as the web space can run cgi scripts. If the perl modules are
not installed they can be installed locally in ~/install-dir/lib or
anywhere else as long as you make sure the perl scripts are told to look
there.

The entire installation from begining to end can be done as a user with
basic privlidges. You don't even need your own domain as I have
installed it in public html directories (http://domain/~user) just as
easily as in FQDN web space.

I'm pretty sure Mike wrote minivend/interchange so that root access
would never actually be needed.

Chris

p.s. On a security note: Telnet bad. SSH good. Do not use telnet if you
don't need to. Whats the point of having a secure system if you are
always sending your passwords in the clear? Terraterm supports a free
implementation of SSH on windows systems. Niftytelnet also supports SSH
for macs. Anyone not using SSH on a wireless network is simply asking to
have their passwords bogarted.