[ic] Trouble with repeating special page: interact

Mike Heins interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Wed Jun 27 00:53:00 2001

Quoting cfm@maine.com (cfm@maine.com):
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 10:32:31PM -0400, Mike Heins wrote:
> > Quoting Jeff Carnahan (jcarnahan@networq.com):
> > > I've searched the mailing list archives and documentation and can't find any
> > > mention of the problem I'm experiencing, nor anything that would help me fix
> > > it.
> > >
> > > I have a SpecialPage directive:
> > >
> > > SpecialPage		interact		special/interact.html
> > >
> > > The file special/interact.html contains a proper HTML file that gives the
> > > user an error report.
> > >
> > > On the basket page, if a user sets the quantity of an item to a non-digit,
> > > (say a letter) and attempts to update their cart, the contents of
> > > special/interact.html are displayed twice, followed by the basket page again
> > > (all concatenated into one large HTML document).
>
> > We are not putting maintenance effort on anything but show-stoppers on
> > the 4.6.5 tree at this point, so it is unlikely to be fixed there. 4.7.x
> > takes the pragmatic approach of just stripping the non-numerics.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong, Mike, but it seems to me that much
> of the effort in later versions is in templating and UI.  There is
> an overwhelming, huge similarity between 4.03 and 4.7.3 in the
> core session modules.

No, not at all.

There are, many, many, core changes in 4.7.x. All should be compatible
except where noted in icupgrade(8), but the core code is much
different in that and many areas.

> It would be wonderful if the core modules and the templating/UI could
> each march along at their own, separate paces.

They do to some extent, but since we are not the most numerous development
team there is not enough resource to do that. Remember, many of the
changes in both introduce some level of instability (or the potential
for it). We don't want to subject the stable tree to that.

In any case, we have to draw the line at maintenance somewhere. Unless
some enterprising soul wants to volunteer.... 8-)

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Fast, reliable, cheap.  Pick two and we'll talk.  -- unknown