[ic] Install I have telnet?? not so easy...

Jim Balcom interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Sat Jun 30 18:21:00 2001

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Tammy wrote:

T>>Can anyone recommend a good site, where I can go to learn the telnet commands?

Amazon.com or bn.com and buy "Unix For Dummies" or "Linux For Dummies"

Or, your local Borders or Barnes & Noble.

It seems to me that you are trying to drive a semi loaded with steel
when you haven't even really gotten past figuring out how to start your
Chevy Geo.

Or, here's an alternative... go to redhat.com or cdrom.com or
infomagic.com and buy a Linux distribution. Any one - pick one. My
favorite is Slackware, but RedHat is good, too. Or, you can go to your
favorite major bookseller and buy a book on Linux with a CD in the back
for under $50. The last time that I looked (a couple of years ago)
Caldera had a great distribution out, along with an easy installation
that would re-partition your disk so that you could have both Windoze
and Linux working side by side.

Get the distribution at home and follow the instructions for installing
it on your computer. The best arrangement is if you have a spare
computer that you can devote to Linux. But, the current distributions
will tolerate Bill Gates and work along side of Windoze.

(Linux will install on a '386, or better. It's not at all fussy! You
can install it on just about any piece of hardware that you have laying
around. You can get it up and running on a 100 meg hard drive. Linus
designed it for people on small budgets, and that feature has never
been compromised!)

Play with it. Explore it. Learn the commands and functions by doing
them. Join some news groups that discuss using Linux and ask them to
help you with the parts of Linux that you don't understand. (This here
is NOT a forum for teaching Linux or Unix.)

Once you have learned to master your Chevy GEO (Linux) come on back and
we can talk intelligently about driving the semi (Interchange). (In
case you are wondering, Windows is equivalent to driving a Moped!)

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Saturday, June 30, 2001 at 18:05 PM:
Only 19,999 lines of C++ to my next ski trip...

This Linux System has been up 60 hours