[ic] XML

cfm@maine.com cfm@maine.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 20:30:59 -0500

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 07:27:19PM -0500, Steve & Patti Getzinger wrote:
> I have a client that is running an XML feed from an affiliate of
> there's. This was all done by someone else. They now would like their
> orders fed into their Access database via XML. Anyone ever played with
> this? In all they want the order emailed to the customer, a short
> message sent to their in house person (something like "You have mail"
> :)  ) and the actual order sent to their Access db on a NT box that
> accepts XML feed. Thoughts? People who have implemented such a thing?

Yes and no.  We wrote a parser that filtered the email, generated a post
to the catalog and placed the order.  (First post to establish
session, second to place it.)  We didn't use real XML, but a psuedo
so the affiliates could just generate it in email.  The idea was
to send them a template daily and they could just fill in the blanks.

It failed for political reasons.  The distributors/affiliates saw
it as more work even though that simple handshake would have provided
tracking, billing and so forth.  Oh well.

Access and NT, no.  Are they running the catalog on NT?  With an
Access backend?  Or is that their inhouse system and this would be
yet another input stream for orders?  The way we did it runs the
orders through the catalog.