[ic] Performance testing: timer variable?

Dan B db@cyclonehq.dnsalias.net
Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:33:58 -0800

I am doing some performance testing/debugging, and would love to hear
comments from others about this.

A) Testing the load time (seconds) for an entire page
         Is 'time wget $URL' a good indicator?

B) Testing a specific block of code?
         What kind of [perl] would you put in front and in back to take a
before and after time sample, subtract it, and give the "x.xxxx" seconds
passed" result?  Or another way all together?

C) I'm also wondering how much of a difference there is between [query] and
direct SQL querying (i.e. how much does the overhead of perl, DBI, IC
amount to).

2:30am, it's getting late.  Must... launch... website... soon...

Dan Browning, Cyclone Computer Systems, danb@cyclonecomputers.com