[ic] Moving a Catalog/Cart

cfm@maine.com cfm@maine.com
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 23:01:13 -0500

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 09:36:35PM -0500, Ron Dorman wrote:
> We are relatively new to Interchange.  We have 4 carts in development
> and are preparing to move the first one to production.  We have had a
> couple of revelations here.  First and foremost - the catalog should
> have been created in it's final resting place to begin with.  Searching
> archives turned up a couple of references, the better being Doug
> Alcorn's response.
>
> We are in a slightly different situation though.  We have one machine
> where we are doing development under one site, with subdirectories for
> customer sites in development.  Thus, the customers have a place to look
> at the work for proofing.  When accepted, the site is moved to the
> customers web site directories on the same server for production.
> Doug's directions stipulate creating a catalog with makecat and then
> copying the changes from development to new directories (on a different
> server), dumping the database and importing on the new server.

You're making it much harder than it needs to be.  You can
have any number of catalogs talking to same databases.  No need
to dump them.  Typically we install our dev systems parallel to
production systems only on different machines with different
addresses, eg www.asdf.com vs dev.asdf.com.

All the differences from one machine to another are handled
by our page builder, but there are precious few, mostly dealing
with ssl; we don't bother with that on the dev machines.  For
the most part, if you are doing it by hand, just copy it.  Don't
use makecat unless you want to double your experience.

> How do you get a MySQL database created by makecat that is not a test
> database?
>
> Is it better to leave it in a test database (I would not think so)?
>

> There is a production site in the directories you are moving to
> (Interchange is an upgrade to an existing site) so you don't want to
> step on html files that already exist in the htdocs directory until go
> live time.  Renaming some html files seems the only option available if
> you want to move and test. Otherwise move and be live, prepared to jump
> through hoops quickly for any problems arising from the move.  Any other
> ideas?

That's a bad structure.  Just use a different catalog.  Like we still
have a few catalogs in mv3, those are at /var/mv/catalog3 and the
mv4 version is /var/mv/catalog4.  You can handle **all** of that in
interchange.cfg

> If not all in the catalog.cfg file, what files do we need to look at?

The logs.  :-) And maybe vlink/tlink depending on your structure.