[ic] Interchange slower on a faster machine?

Jon Jensen jon@akopia.com
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:57:03 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Sam Hui wrote:

> We are having a wierd problem that we do not have on our 3 dev servers, only
> on our 2 production servers.  Tracing the code, we found the following lines
> in Order.pm under sub order_route cause a pause of 1-3min each during the
> submit order process.
>
>     $page = interpolate_html($page) if $page;
>     send_mail(@$msg);

Sounds to me like you have a problem with your name server. sendmail looks
up the hostname of your server and the MX record of the machine you're
sending mail to, and tends to go *very* slow if there's any trouble there.
You can test this theory by trying to send mail from something like 'mail'
or 'pine' on that server, and seeing if that hangs as well. Or you can
just remove the send_mail command -- it should work fine and then you can
start figuring out what's wrong with your mail configuration.

Jon