[ic] Re: Big Login Problem, :backup, access.Asc , and an encryption problem

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:33:00 -0500

Quoting Young Family (ary@communicationfactory.com):
> You wrote
> > Please trim the enclosures in your replies - it looks like you had an
> > entire week's worth of postings attached to this one!
>
> OK sorry
>

> > The quickest way I can think of to solve your trouble is to make another
> > catalog with a different name. Pay close attention to the username and
> > password you enter for Super User (when prompted by makecat).  Then copy
> > the access.asc from the products directory of that new catalog to the same
> > place in your existing catalog.  This should force access.gdbm to be
> > rebuilt with the new Admin entries - you can delete access.gdbm, just to
> > ensure that it gets rebuilt.  When all is well and you can log in to the
> > admin area, you can delete the other catalog and remove it from
> > interchange.cfg.
>
> So, I guess I could look at the code for makecat and figure out how it
> encrypts and then write my own decrypt script . Is that where it is
> encrypting?

You can produce an encrypted password with this little thing:

	#!/usr/bin/perl

	# genpasswd.pl -- generate an encrypted password (default "pass")
	# usage: genpasswd.pl <password>

	my $enclair = shift || 'pass';
	my @chars = ('A' .. 'Z', 'a' .. 'z', 0 .. 9);
	my $salt = '';
	$salt =    $chars[ int( rand(scalar @chars) )  ];
	$salt .=   $chars[ int( rand(scalar @chars) )  ];

	print crypt($enclair, $salt);

Or you can use htpasswd, or any other password generation thingy.

--
Red Hat, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mheins@redhat.com>

Friends don't let friends use Outlook. -- Bob Blaylock