[ic] makecat non-interactive?

cfm@maine.com cfm@maine.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:11:51 -0500

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 03:01:12PM -0800, tzf@tzf.net wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> By way of introduction, my name's Tim and I've been lurking for a while.
> I'm starting an e-commerce hosting company with a friend. I'm enthusiastic
> about Open Source, and hoping Interchange will allow us to base the
> business on an open source solution, despite some customers' insistance
> that they want to go with Brand X.
>
> My question: I want to run makecat from the command line in a
> non-interactive mode. i.e. I want to specify all paramters on the command
> line, and then have makecat "just do it", sending only error messages to
> the standard output when necessary.
>
> I've been using something like this:

We used to have something like that with Vend.  A perl script that simply
did the typical substitutions in catalog.cfg.  It seems like most people
use the stock construct pages.  So makecat makes sense for those.  But if
you start with your own templates, then it is pretty easy to build a minimal
perl script that iterates a template tree into a destination tree.  That's
more or less what we do now.  Automating makecat is probably the hard way.
TMTOWTDI

cfm