[ic] Re: Paypal

Jason Kohles jkohles@redhat.com
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:31:04 -0500

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 05:55:48PM -0500, Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting David Schnardthorst - Eregion (daves@eregion.org):
> > I have found a lot of postings concerning integration with
> > Paypal.  However, I have not found anybody yet who has complete
> > integration.  Has this occurred yet, and if so, where can
> > I get some examples.
>
> It is easy to *get to* PayPal, just not so easy to get back.
>
> Integrating is as simple as providing a button on the checkout
> page. But completing the order is at the whim of the buyer, who
> would have to click the link paypal.com provides on the payment
> final page.

I have a paypal implementation in perl that I could probably very easily
integrate into interchange, as soon as I get moved into my new apartment
and get my computers unpacked so I can get at the code...

> Possible workarounds include setting up an email parser that would
> receive emailed order notifications from PayPal and complete the order,
> etc. And if by some chance PayPal allows a "silent post" then it
> can be completed.
>
> Unfortunately they appear to have no developer integration links on
> their website; I have looked (as recently as two days ago) and there
> is no technical info on how to integrate.

They do have an API that allows you to tell the paypal server to post a
response back to you once the transaction is completed, so that you know
the customer has paid whether they return to your site afterward or not.
I don't know why they refuse to put the implementation information on their
website, but it does exist.

--
Red Hat E-Business Solutions                    Jason Kohles
11480 Sunset Hills Road                         Senior System Architect