[ic] How to backup and upgrade

Dan B db@cyclonehq.dnsalias.net
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:59:37 -0800

At 09:09 AM 3/28/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm wondering about the best way to backup the catalogs I make. If my
>host went under and I had to reinstall IC on a different machine, would
>a copy of the catalog directories be all that's needed to get back in
>business?

I do a bzip2'ed tarball of the IC directory (often, I modify a lot in
there) in addition to the catalog directory.  Do not forget to include a
dump of your database if you are using one.  (e.g. 'pg_dump database' for
postgres).

>And what about upgrading to new versions as they come out? How does one
>upgrade without losing existing catalogs?

I prefer to install multiple versions side by side.
For example:
/usr/local/ic-4.6.1
/usr/local/ic-4.6.2
/usr/local/ic-4.6.4