[ic] expireall and server --start fail to run in crontab (was: Where is checkstat.sh?)

Mike Heins mikeh@minivend.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:59:15 -0500

Quoting Jason Kohles (jkohles@redhat.com):
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 03:51:33PM -0600, Curt Hauge wrote:
> > Thanks again. If I understood correctly, bin/interchange will re-config the
> > catalogs but will not restart the server unless it is down (and the
> > interchange/error. log seems to support this). I was informed in a prior
> > post that (supposedly) bin/interchange replaces the old checkstat.sh script.
> > Is there some other automatic way to be sure the server is running? Others
> > must have something working or they will have to manually restart (WHEN they
> > find out the serve IS down).
> >
> Ahh, I must have misread your previous message, I thought you were running
> interchange -r from cron, which would stop and restart the server, temporarily
> taking it off-line.  Running it with no arguments (or with --serve or -start)
> would be appropriate for ensuring it is running.

And it won't reconfig the catalogs on the running server. It will just
test the configuration as it is and exit.

This cron thing is not a recommended practice, by the way -- certainly
not every 5 minutes. Interchange should routinely run for months at a
time unless something from the outside gets in the way.

--
Red Hat, Inc., 131 Willow Lane, Floor 2, Oxford, OH  45056
phone +1.513.523.7621 fax 7501 <mheins@redhat.com>

Just because something is obviously happening doesn't mean something
obvious is happening. --Larry Wall