[ic] Scarey -- (More Info) Can Not Identify Error

Christopher VanOosterhout interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Thu May 10 10:47:01 2001

Thanks so much for your input on this ... I do have a couple of follow ups
that may help me ... if you could.

> > The first line of the customer's order confirmation
> > said:  UNEXPECTED_DATA_AFTER_ADDRESS@.SYNTAX-ERROR

What I mean is that the confirmation email the customer received had the
line (shown above).

> > Do you have any idea what may have happened to send a confirmation to the
> > customer but nothing to me as the store administrator, when I usually
> get a
> > copy of the orders?
>
>I'd guess the garbage in the input created something that could not
>be processed at some point down the line.

You mean before Interchange sent me a confirmation?  It seems like if a
user can enter anything "illegal" that would cause a users order to not be
processed or not sent on to the store administrator, that it should be
caught and filtered or refused back to the customer asking for clarification.

>We filter everything to clean ASCII at various points.  Since we typically
>print packing lists and invoices with TeX, now and then a printout will
>silently die on some special combination of characters.  We add that
>combination
>to our filter. But a simple null char in a form can kill it too.  Suppose you
>stack two addresses; mv will return them null delimited.  Depending on what
>you try to do with that you can kill your process/output/whatever.

Could you give me more information on this?  Is the filtering of clean
ASCII happening before email order notices would be sent to the
administrator (if you were using that option)?  I probably did not make it
clear ... I never received an order confirmation on this order via email
and is "sounds" like what you are talking about may happen sometime after that.

> > This of course is a major concern ... since I hate the ideas that
> customers
> > are out there ordering products and not being serviced.
>
>We don't use the minivend order email,

Is there a reason you do not use it?  Do you feel it is some way unreliable
or do you have another concern?  Or just do not want to mess with PGP?  Why?