[ic] Installing construct w/ mysql support

Brian Teague interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Fri May 18 20:23:00 2001

i just fought through the interchange/mysql install on an RH7.1 box.
lemme walk you through it.

firstly, the above poster was right.  you need *all* the packages on the
RH disc starting with "mysql"  including mysql-clients.  make sure that
you get them.

secondly, the general perl DBI modules get installed by the interchange
installer, but you need the specific mysql database driver (DBD.)  get
on http://search.cpan.org and search for 'mysql'...grab the package
named "Msql-Mysql-modules-1.2216".  untar/gzip it, enter the directory
and run
"perl Makefile.PL"
"make"
"make test"

if all the tests pass, run
"make install"

so.  that should get you set up on the perl end.  next, you need to get
permissions set up.  i'm going to assume you installed the Interchange
server under the username 'interch'...if it's different, substitute as
appropriate in the following.  as root, you need to add the user
'interch' to the personal group of the user who actually controls the
catalog.  for example, on my machine, the catalogs are in the home
directory of user 'brian', at the path /home/brian/catalogs/construct.
so, to make sure that the interchange server can get there, (as root!) i
typed
"usermod -G brian interch"

which adds the user 'interch' to group 'brian'.

finally, make sure you run the interchange server (eg, issue the '
/usr/local/interchange/bin/restart' command) as the interch user.  eg,
as root,
"su interch"
"/usr/local/interchange/bin/restart"
"exit"

that should about do it.  the only other caveat i have is that i was
unable to run the server it "UNIX" mode.  i had to select "INET" mode
before the linker would connect to the server.

good luck!  if you have more problems, feel free to email me directly or
post to the list.

regards,
Brian Teague