[ic] 4.6.5 - ./configure bug re: perl detection...

Jon Jensen interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Thu May 24 17:32:00 2001

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Ed LaFrance wrote:

> >Notice that it said Perl 5.006 is at /usr/bin/perl.. This is incorrect:
> >
> >$ /usr/bin/perl -version
> >
> >This is perl, v5.6.0 built for i686-linux
> >
> >Copyright 1987-2000, Larry Wall

> >This threw me for a loop for a second, before I verified that I indeed have
> >perl 5.6 installed...
>
> It is just two different ways of expressing the same version, I think; try
> perl -V (note uppercase V) at the command line and you will see what I mean.

Please see 'perldoc perldelta' or 'man perldelta' and search for "Improved
Perl version numbering system". Ed is correct that they are two ways of
displaying the same version number: the old way and the new way.

Interchange 4.7/4.8 takes this harmless difference into account.

Jon