[ic] how to NOT use products.txt

Ron Phipps interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Wed May 30 16:18:02 2001

> I am going crazy here.  IMO, using products.txt seems like a horrible
> idea, since I have a mysql database.  Say for instance, the first line
> of my 'products.txt' file looked like
>
> sku desc icon image
>
> And i wanted to add a field 'small_icon' between icon and image.
>
> How would I do this (easily)?  What I want to do is ditch products.txt so
> that I can just use mysql, and do
> alter table products add small_icon varchar(64) after icon;
> to add a new field.

Ok I just did this the other day.  Shut IC down.  Make a backup copy of
products.txt and then alter your mysql table.  Also go into
dbconf/mysql/products.mysql and add your field there as well.  Now start IC
up.  Go into the Admin UI->Administration->Tables->Export Products table.
Accept the defaults and a new products.txt should be generated with the
additional field and a blank for each product record in that field.

I do not have experience with getting rid of the products.txt all together
and I use the spreadsheet editor to edit my products.  However if you go
into the Admin for the Item editor and click on 'No Meta Display' you should
see your new field and then click on the 'Meta' for that field and define
the field, IC should then display the field in the item editor.

Good luck!
-Ron