[ic] Cart contents dropped when going back

Ed LaFrance interchange-users@lists.akopia.com
Thu May 31 11:59:01 2001

At 11:14 PM 05/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>On our site we use a separate payment server to handle payments. That works
>fine, but sometimes the customers change their mind and go back to change
>their order after they have connected to the payment server to finish the
>transaction. The problem is, when they get back the cart contents are
>dropped.
>
>Is there an easy way of correcting this behavior? I've enabled cookies and I
>set mv_save_session in the form that sends the user over to the payment
>server, but it doesn't work.

Hmmm... it shouldn't happen if they use the 'Back' button on their browser,
because the cookie or session id string (depending upon how their browser
is set up) should put them back into their existing session.  When the
basket contents disappear, either the session has expired or IC no longer
knows which session belongs to the user, so a new (empty) session is started.

If they follow a link back to your site without completing payment, that
link should contain the session id string, just to be sure that they get
back into their existing session:

http://developer.akopia.com/cgi-bin/ic/dev/icintro_7.html
http://developer.akopia.com/cgi-bin/ic/dev/icintro_8.html

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax