[ic] add on-the-fly in admin

Thu Nov 1 12:46:01 2001

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 12:16:38PM -0500, FixtureFactor.com wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there some way to add an item "on-the-fly" that is NOT in the catalog.
> Lets say you just want to make up an item, desc. and price while you are
> entering in an order in the admin section.  i.e.  You want to add a discount
> for this person shown as an item, but you dont want to go in and add an item
> called "discount" and put in that specific dollar amount which would be
> different next time you wanted to use it.
>
> Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

You CAN do that but I'd suspect you will find it is a can of worms.

If you just want to charge an arbitrary total against a list of
products, it might be easier and cleaner to override the total
instead.  Allowing price overrides and price changes through cgi
is dangerous; I'd not do it except in a "known user" scenario -
maybe the admin section is ok.

Changing the price of an existing item would be better.  But
by the time you set that up you might as well price it at $1 and
use quantity to set the discount amount.

Why not just use the built in DISCOUNT feature?  You could set that
too.