[ic] IP Based Domain Name Hosting Issue

Justin Bonds interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Nov 6 07:20:01 2001

Hi,

I've been working with Interchange 4.8.2 for a few weeks, trying to get
everything installed and I believe that I've gotten most of the bigger
things accomplished except for the following:

I have two domains:
http://ecommerce.hypertech.net/foundation/  (IP Address:  12.29.13.30)
http://www.wildnut.com/foundation2/  (IP Address:  12.29.13.31)
with a few more to come.

(Please note:  If you can't access the wildnut site it's because I recently
updated the name servers and they may not have been updated throughout the
world yet  :)  )

Ok - the first link Customer Entrance works fine.  I can add multiple
catalogs under the domain and they all function correctly.  The second
domain, wildnut.com - the Customer Entrance doesn't work at all and responds
back with Interchange Server is unavailable - even though I've restarted the
system several times, etc.  I even tried copying the first foundation
cgi-bin file to the wildnut cgi-bin section - thinking that perhaps
something was wrong with it - but that didn't work.

I originally did NOT have FullURL in the interchange.cfg file, but then,
since the above didn't work, I added it underneath the last catalog - within
that section.  FullURL Yes  is the command that I added.  I then re-ran
./bin/makecat and reconfigured the catalogs, placing everything within their
particular file section but there was one section I wasn't sure of.  The
UNIX, INET and NONE section.    Well, actually, I tried UNIX and NONE and
neither worked.  However, the NONE statement confused me since it said that
I need to copy some program, etc. etc. to some location - and I don't really
know what that means or if that's even the solution to my problem.  I've
gone over the makecat program several times and so I'm either sticking in
the wrong information when asked, or I just don't have something else
configured correctly.  But, I do know that I've placed the http docs and cgi
stuff into the appropriate directories during the makecat process (at least
I hope that I'm not THAT short of a brick load).

What I'd like to do is to use IP-based hosting for each domain name so that
each can have their own separate SSL.  I could, of course, throw each domain
name into the ecommerce.hypertech.net section, but I'd like to keep the
entire shopping process within each domain.

My interchange.cfg Catalog section looks like this:

Catalog       foundation /var/lib/interchange/foundation
ecommerce.hypertech.net/cgi-bin/foundation /foundation
Catalog       foundation2 /var/lib/interchange/foundation2
www.wildnut.com/cgi-bin/foundation2 /foundation2

FullUrl  Yes

I remember at one point Interchange asking for the location to my httpd.conf
file and I believe that I specified that, but don't really know if that
could be causing the problem or not.

So basically, everything seems to work - IF I opted to go with a multiple
catalog shopping cart system under ecommerce.hypertech.net - but to make it
difficult on myself - I'd rather have a shopping cart system under each
domain name with their own IP address and SSL certificate.

Can someone give me any pointers to accomplish this - so that I can get that
Interchange server unavailable out of my second domain??  Restarting doesn't
do it . . . I'm obviously missing the boat on this - so if you'd be so kind
as to throw me a life jacket?

Oh yes, and although I don't think this matters - I'm using Plesk 2.0 as my
solution for hosting.    It does all of the configuration settings for
hosting and uses Apache, MySQL, mod_perl, etc.  More info about that at:
http://www.plesk.com/ if you think that there's a possibility that it's
causing my problem.   I just have a BIG tendency to think it isn't, but of
course, my four weeks is pale in comparison to several of those with YEARS
of experience.  But, I'll get there.

Oh yeah - and by the way - I've tried MANY e-commerce products and I'm truly
impressed by Interchange.  I'm slowly learning the system but it seems to be
VERY stable and the features, well, let's just say that I'd be paying a
pretty penny if I bought something like this for NT . . .

Thanks Everyone!

:)  Justin