[ic] Advanced search on large DB

Mon Nov 12 08:54:00 2001

I have an arbitary database of over 100000 products in a new 4.8.2 store
running mySQL on a modest server.
What I need to put together is an advanced search form to allow customers to
search titles for keywords within prod_group or category.

The data is not unlike the original 'Art gallery' type database:
description, artist, prod_group, category.

What I really need is an example of an efficient advanced search form that
deals directly with the mySQL DB allowing searches through hardcoded
prod_groups or categories drop downs.

My SQL (no pun intended) understanding is not that brilliant. My previous
catalogs relied on Glimpse for searching.

I've been through http://www.minivend.com/doc-4.8/frames/ictags_59.html
several times and haven't been able to grasp the concepts as much as I would
have liked.

How do I allow searches through a DB this large without over burdening the
server?

I would love to view an example or two of an advanced search page specific
to mySQL and Interchange and a large DB.

Any other tips would be tremendously appreciated!

Simon