[ic] Advanced search on large DB

Mon Nov 12 14:11:57 2001

At 12:52 AM 11/13/2001 +1100, you wrote:
>I have an arbitary database of over 100000 products in a new 4.8.2 store
>running mySQL on a modest server.
>What I need to put together is an advanced search form to allow customers to
>search titles for keywords within prod_group or category.
>
>The data is not unlike the original 'Art gallery' type database:
>description, artist, prod_group, category.
>
>What I really need is an example of an efficient advanced search form that
>deals directly with the mySQL DB allowing searches through hardcoded
>prod_groups or categories drop downs.
>
>My SQL (no pun intended) understanding is not that brilliant. My previous
>catalogs relied on Glimpse for searching.
>
>I've been through http://www.minivend.com/doc-4.8/frames/ictags_59.html
>several times and haven't been able to grasp the concepts as much as I would
>have liked.
>
>How do I allow searches through a DB this large without over burdening the
>server?
>
>I would love to view an example or two of an advanced search page specific
>to mySQL and Interchange and a large DB.
>
>Any other tips would be tremendously appreciated!

Well, the [query] tag doc (which you have already studied) is about as good
as it gets in the current incarnation if the IC manuals.  I would suggest
taking a look at the UI html files (VENDROOT/lib/UI/pages/admin/) for a few
examples of the this tag in use: customer_view.html and order_view.html
each contain reasonably straight-forward examples which should help you on
your way.

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax