[ic] workaround found for 99%CPU usage problem in Vend/SessionFile.pm: "::uneval($ref);" fixes it

Steffen Dettmer interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Nov 14 18:00:01 2001

* Mike Heins wrote on Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 15:39 -0500:
> Quoting Steffen Dettmer (steffen@dett.de):
 [...]
> > And it works, too. No 99% CPU processes. I don't know what unveal
> > does, but it workarounds the problem. I'm afraid that this don't
> > fixes the issue but gives a point less where it gets triggered.
> >
> > For completness a patch:
>
> I don't see any context here, but I do recommend that no one do
> this

Hum, yep, of course, I forgot to say it explicitly that this
patch is not for any user but for developer only, and only to
make clear what I changed exactly. Second, this patch is empiric
guessed as I tried to insinuate.

What do you mean with "I don't see any context here"? To less
patch context? I just used diff -u which defaults to 3 lines
context.

> I am guessing your operating system is BSD.

I'm running linux.

> Why I should have to guess, I don't know -- it should be
> mandatory to mention that in a message like this.

You're right, sorry. It's an SuSE 7.0 distribution:
Linux stella 2.2.16-SMP #1 SMP Wed Aug 2 20:01:21 GMT 2000 i686 unknown
with the old Perl 5.005_03.

> In any case, the thing you mentioned makes it seem like you
> have a problem with file locks. I would run my "make test"
> on Perl and see whether it passed 100%.

Thank you for the hint. You suggest to do a make test in the perl
sources, right? I'll have to upgrade Perl anyway, so I'll do it.

File locks could really be problematic, since the file system is a NFS
share. So this may be a NFS problem? I could check it by moving
the home of this user to a local file system, this may be a nice
idea, correct?

Do you have an idea why the line "::uneval($ref);" worksarounds
this problems? After a very quick look at the source I think this
statement should do nothing but return a "dump" of the referenced
thing, is that correct? So this statement should do nothing
except wasteing CPU cycles, correct?

Well, for me it looks like a mysteria at all. Any ideas?

Thank you for your quick response!

oki,

Steffen