[ic] Searching multiple fields question

Thu Nov 15 13:32:00 2001

At 11:40 PM 11/14/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just don't get it. What I try to do is the following: searching
>a text in products comment and description. I have a second
>condition, the shop_id must match a scratch value. I tried for
>instance:
>
><INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_search_map VALUE="
>         mv_searchspec=search_id
>         mv_searchspec=search_word
>">
>
><INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_coordinate VALUE=1>
><INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_searchtype VALUE=db>
><INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_matchlimit VALUE=[control matches 10]>
><INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_sort_field VALUE=category>
><INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_search_field VALUE="products:shop_id">
><INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_search_field
>         VALUE="products:comment,products:description">
><input type=hidden name=mv_substring_match value=1>
><INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE=em>
><INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE=rm>
><INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=search_id VALUE="[scratch shop_id]">
><INPUT MAXLENGTH=30 NAME=search_word type=text size=8>
>
>This is not working as I want. Is
><INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_search_field
>         VALUE="products:comment,products:description">
>
>equal to:
><INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_search_field
>         VALUE="products:description">
><INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_search_field
>         VALUE="products:comment">
>
>? In that case I understand why it's not working as I need it.
>Then I would need to use mv_searchor, but it seems that this can
>be used only once, so this would search for the right shop_id or
>the word.
>
>Any suggestions?

Yes. I've generally found that, when doing complex searches, it is easier
to collect search criteria in one step with a simple non-search form, then
analyze the input and compose/submit the search in a second
step.  Additionally, in your case, I think an SQL query might work best for
that second step.

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax