[ic] Re: missing Perl modules

Daniel P. Zepeda interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 16:53:00 2001

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Bob Ramstad wrote:

> Seriously, folks, the signal to noise ratio on this list seems to be
> totally going to hell.  I also suspect that if someone sat down with a
> vanilla RedHat installation and documented everything they needed to
> do to get Interchange running, they'd be surprised at how hard it
> really is...  It's hard!  There are lots of steps, and someone who
> doesn't really know system administration will have some real issues
> getting it to run without some good instructions.

This is a waste of bandwidth. Obviously there needs to be more
documentation, but adding to the noise calling for the documentation
isn't going to help. Don't you think we all know that there needs
to be a FAQ? Why don't you spend bandwidth contributing one instead
of complaining about it.

It takes less time on your part to ignore newbie questions, 'press delete'
instead of complaining about the S/N ratio.

> I don't think it's reasonable to say that folks without the right
> expertise shouldn't be trying to run Interchange.  They'll try, it
> won't work, and they'll come here for help.  That's what has been
> happening, and will continue to happen.

I agree with you here.

> As far as Perl is concerned, the doc should probably explain how to
> use the interactive CPAN shell, have a list of required modules, and
> an example of an error message that Interchange throws when a module
> is missing.  Probably also good to recommend a specific Perl version
> i.e. minimum 5.6.0 best to be running the latest and greatest.

You've already started... keep going.