[ic] Making store popup without redirect

Dan Browning interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Nov 27 19:34:03 2001

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 steve@moddepot.com wrote:
>
> >>How can I make my domain point right to the store. right
> now I have a
> >>index.html which redirects to the store. but the search
> engines don't
> >>like this. how can I make the store come right up with my
> domain. also
> >>where can I add meta tags on the foundation? just but them in the
> >>index.html page? or what. thanks in advance
>
> An interesting question....
>
> I got around it by putting up a small index page directly at
> the domain name. At the top of that I put all of my meta tags
> for search engines to hit on and pick up. This page also has
> all of the criteria for the new Internet Explorer security
> stuff so that it all gets done and over right there.
>
> I have a meta tag that causes that page to go away after 10
> seconds and bring on the main IC page through the cgi-bin
> directory. Thee is also a clickable link at the bottom of the
> page if someone is in a hurry.
>
> -= Jim =-

I feel bad for being so terse with Steve, so here's the apache code to
do a redirect (though a staticly-built index.html which links to the
cgi-bin is faster).

RewriteEngine On

# matches on http://myhost.com
RewriteRule     ^$      /cgi-bin/e/index.html  [PT,L]

# matches on http://myhost.com/
RewriteRule     ^/$     /cgi-bin/e/index.html  [PT,L]

# don't change URLs like /cgi-bin/*
RewriteRule     ^/cgi-bin/.* -               [PT,L]

HTH,

Dan Browning
Kavod Technologies