[ic] Downloadables

Wed Nov 28 21:10:01 2001

Quoting Paul Jordan (paul@gishnetwork.com):
> If anybody has any tips, tricks, or advice on using interchange for
> dowloading mixed goods, "hard" and "soft", please let me know. I can get my
> soft goods to download, but if anbody has run into any problems or quirks
> with IC, I would like to know before hand. Also, we are gonna have A WHOLE
> LOT of soft goods. I have them stored in a directory under the CATALOG
> directory. Are there any size limits? I know I can have the actual soft
> goods in my WWW directory but I was thinking they would be a little harder
> for a hacker to get access outside my WWW directory and into the CATALOG
> directory. Or am I stupid? :)

If you select the "reports" template during makecat, you will see a
working downloadable softgoods implementation.

The softgoods are stored in the catalog directory (or anywhere you can
put a symlink to).

There are no size limits, but bear in mind if you want IC to deliver
the goods it requires an IC daemon to run for the duration of the
download. If that goes more than 5 minutes you will run into timeouts
in the default configuration; if it goes more than 15 you will run
into web server timeouts. Also, IC takes quite a bit of memory so
you will see some memory usage.

If you don't expect to have dozens of sales per hour or more, it probably
won't matter.

But if you will have a lot of large downloads, it it best to do some
sort of external symlinking of an FTP path or something; or you can
use IC to set up a customer login via AuthDBI or some other method.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

"Laughter is inner jogging." -- Norman Cousins