[ic] Looking for a list of hosts....

Dan Browning interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 17:57:31 2001

> "Jillian Carroll" <jillian@koskie.com> writes:
>
> > Is there a list anywhere of potential hosts he could check out?
>
> There used to be such a list back in the minivend 3 days.
> That list is either gone or hopelessly out of date.  I
> volunteered to maintain such a list again; however, I only
> had like 3 submissions.
>
> Anyway, since RedHat's in the hosting business themselves I
> doubt they would be open to sponsoring an "official" list
> anywhere on the Official Interchange site.  This is one of
> those times when a recognized community run site would be handy.
> --
>  (__) Doug Alcorn (mailto:doug@lathi.net

I disagree.  I would be surprised if that really was the reason
ic.redhat.com doesn't maintain an official list.  If they did have a
list of "competitors", it would be an opportunity to show why official
Red Hat hosting (& partnered Rackspace.com hosting) is "head and
shoulders" above the rest.  That way people could clearly see "oh, the
inexpensive ones are over here, but the good ones are over there".

I mean, there are people here on the 9.95/mo and cable modem hosting,
which is fine when it's a one-man-show type store.  But for bigger
businesses, Red Hat and other business (*ahem* *ahem*) use
Enterprise-class hosting, which is Tier-1 co-located or dedicated boxen.

We host our Intel boxen at Inflow, which some say is the Cadillac of
hosting.  For example, most AT&T network customers (e.g. @home users)
have a 9 millisecond (!!!) latency to our servers (try pinging
www.diabeticsupplies.com and compare it to google.com or others).
Similarly, people who come from UUNET or Genuity backbones get low
latency connections because the data center we're at has 3 (count 'em,
3) OC-48's connecting to each backbone, load-balanced BGP style.  So AOL
customers (AOL uses UUNET) come in through the fastest route, which is
the OC-48 with UUNET.

What I mean to say is that I don't think Red Hat would hurt from putting
such a list up, because it is like comparing Apples to Oranges.  There
are different needs for different markets.  On the other side of the
same coin, I am not opposed to a community site, since I don't think it
will hurt things at all (plus, it may allay some of the conspiracy
theories).

;-)

Dan Browning
Kavod Technologies