[ic] unable to display page errors

Dan Browning interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Oct 4 16:33:04 2001

> Tim Watts <interchange@Romans1013.net> writes:
>
> > We're running interchange 4.6.5 on a unix shared server. We
> constantly get
> > feedback from customers that say that get the generic
> browser error "Unable
> > to display page" or "URL error, unable to locate site."
> These are errors
> > generated in the browser, they are not interchange errors.
> They pop up
> > INSTANTLY when  the submit button is clicked on various
> forms throught the
> > site. If you hit the back button from these error pages and
> try again, it
> > ALWAYS works the second time. It seems to be only associated with
> > interchange, because we never have these problems with any
> other pages in
> > the site. Anyone have a clue or a solution to this
> puzzle??? I know we are
> > losing sales, but we can't locate the source of the problem.
>
> We're experience exactly that problem (on 4.8.x), but I've no
> idea why.
> Clients are IE.
>
> Ciao
>         Racke

We ran into this problem with clients that have IE 5.0/4.0 that haven't been
patched to .02 versions or upgraded to 128-bit encryption.  Upgrading
OpenSSL/mod_ssl seemed to help (big recompiling pain, though), as well as
making sure Apache was set for:

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
         nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
         downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

(see http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC49)

I'm not sure we even got all the problems, but it has helped a lot.  It
would be good to build a browser-client database of what is needed for the
most compatibility.  But it is so much work to build multiple windows boxes
/ VMware images for all the different versions of IE (since it is impossible
to load two simultaneous versions like Netscape).  I don't think it matters,
but we're using Verisign 128-bit certs, BTW.

Also see Microsoft bug reports re. buggy SSL in IE:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q247/3/67.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=g
n&FR=0&qry=SSL%20128-bit&rnk=3&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=IE

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q257/9/78.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=g
n&FR=0&qry=SSL%20128-bit&rnk=4&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=IE

(there are some more too, can't find them, anyone else got them?)

Verisign has some good info on the problem too:

http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/kb/clearexp_cgi/solution.htm?probdesc.objid=
268500870

HTH.  Racke, if you do pinpoint it, would you let me know?

Dan Browning <danpb@mail.com>