[ic] unable to display page errors

Thu Oct 4 17:54:03 2001

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 01:31:05PM -0700, Dan Browning wrote:
> > Tim Watts <interchange@Romans1013.net> writes:

> > > ALWAYS works the second time. It seems to be only associated with
> > > interchange, because we never have these problems with any
> > other pages in
> > > the site. Anyone have a clue or a solution to this
> > puzzle??? I know we are
> > > losing sales, but we can't locate the source of the problem.
> >
> > We're experience exactly that problem (on 4.8.x), but I've no
> > idea why.
> > Clients are IE.
> >
> > Ciao
> >         Racke
>
> We ran into this problem with clients that have IE 5.0/4.0 that haven't been
> patched to .02 versions or upgraded to 128-bit encryption.  Upgrading
> OpenSSL/mod_ssl seemed to help (big recompiling pain, though), as well as
> making sure Apache was set for:
>
> SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
>          nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
>          downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

You probably don't want to do the workaround in ic, but better in
the web server.  Depending on your server you may find options to tweak
response according to certain browsers or actions.  Keepalive on CGI POST
is probably best disabled.  This sort of stuff:

#define POST_NO_KEEPALIVE       (TRUE)
/* By default keepalive is disabled for POSTS.  If you want to
 * allow persistent connections for POSTS, set this to FALSE
 */

Actually, we disable it on any CGI or dynamic content.

cfm