[ic] UI not starting due to runtime error.

Desjardins, Ray interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 18:01:00 2001

Thanks for the prompt turn around.  I will recompile perl with GDBM.

Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Heins [mailto:mheins@redhat.com]
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 4:32 PM
To: interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ic] UI not starting due to runtime error.

Quoting Desjardins, Ray (Desjardins.Ray@con-way.com):
> Hello I am getting the below runtime error when trying to bring up the UI.
> It looks as though one of the perl modules is either not installed right
or
> it is having an issue with MySql.  I have installed via CPAN> install
> Bundle::Interchanange successfully.  Also the demo foundation site is
> running fine against MySql.  But as soon as I try to access the "UI" part
of
> the site I get this error.  Any ideas on what may be wrong.  The UI global
> sub is running installing and seems to be configuring fine as well.
>

> Platform
> Solaris 8 (Intel)
> Perl Version 5.6.1 (compiled from source)
> Interchange Version 4.8.2
> MySql	3.23.42
> Apache 1.3.20

I don't know what happened to the README about Solaris, but the fact
is that SDBM just won't cut it very well.

Bottom line is that you need to eventually you need to build a new Perl
with GDBM included (you can't do that with CPAN).

To work in development with what you have, you need to comment out all
lines in catalog_before.cfg that begin with "Database ichelp". Or you
can just delete all lines in ichelp.txt except the first.

Even so, I wouldn't bet that all things will run well using SDBM.
In the default Perl installations, key/value pairs in SDBM are
limited to 1008 bytes. Not very useful, and the reason why the
long strings in ichelp.txt are screwing you up.

It is possible to get around using GDBM if you put *all* tables in
MySQL, or you don't use locale stuff, or you don't ever put any long
values in variable.txt, but it is probably just easier to get the proper
Perl built with GDBM. You will need to compile and make available gdbm,
of course, available in CPAN/src/misc among other places.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Friends don't let friends use Outlook. -- Bob Blaylock