[ic] Excact match don't works on searches for empty values - how do error handling in the page?

Sat Oct 6 19:14:00 2001

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 06:17:41PM +0200, Steffen Dettmer wrote:
> * cfm@maine.com wrote on Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 11:37 -0400:
> > On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 04:57:45PM +0200, Steffen Dettmer wrote:
> > die "Pathological group_id ($group_id)" unless($group_id);
> > die "group_id ($group_id) not in range" unless($group_id=~/^\d\d\d\d\d\d$/);
>
> That means in general, that I have to validate the results of the
> database actions? When i.e. a trigger raises an exception in
> database, there is no possibility to get the message from the
> DBMS?

yes and no.  I was maybe too elliptical.  I'm instead suggesting that
1) you do not have a group_id == 0 because unless/if($group_id)
returns differently than where group_id >0, pathological case.
2) that your valid groups match some sort of a largish pattern
rather than /^\d+$/
Both of those will make your testing easier and more reliable.  I'd
guess you will be validating, testing and comparing groups a lot.

> > ???  I don't understand that.  I'd suggest you would want to index
> > on anything by which you select.
>
> No, this is the job of the database. When I have a hash index on
> a row, the database fetches the record directly on a "where id =
> value". But when interchange ommits the WHERE clause and compares
> id for each returned row, the complete table gets copied over the
> network on each access. Since the behavoir of the comparision
> between the database and interchange differs, I'm afraid that
> interchanges fetches all records always when useing a search.
>
> I hope I asked more clearly this time. Thank you for your quick
> reply.

I've lost track of this context.  There are situations where ic will
iterate the whole table, it crops up in the mailing list time to time.
Someone else will have to answer that; we don't run into this.