[ic] Static Page Building

Stefan Hornburg Racke interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Oct 8 17:21:00 2001

Doug Alcorn <lathi@seapine.com> writes:

> racke@linuxia.de (Stefan Hornburg (Racke)) writes:
>
> > * if it works now
> > * the Static* configuration settings
> > * any problems
> > * where the documentation lacks
>
> I use it and it mostly works.  I haven't had much luck saying "never
> make this page static".  Also, the logic for determining what to make
> static and what to make dynamic is voodoo to me.  It also seems like
> you get "lost" sometimes on the site.  What I mean is that you get a
> batch of pages created static; but somewhere there's a link to the
> dynamic one.  Once you follow that link to the dynamic page, the
> static pages are lost to you.

IMHO the user interface is bad. I try to make it better, but we'll
see.

> What would be nice is to be able to say, "make these and only these
> pages static".

I think I'll implement the following logic:

catalog.cfg:
StaticAll Yes
=> make a tree

StaticAll No
=> entry page can not be selected anymore
=> anything from StaticPage will be selected as forced
=> set StaticDepth to 1 if not specified

At all, a select box for StaticDepth should be added.

> Also, that list isn't remembered from admin session to
> session.  It would be nice if that list were stored somewhere.
> However, occationally I know there's just one page that needs
> regenerating.  I would like to be able to say, "i know there are lots
> of pages that should be made static; but just do this one page"
>
> Another nice feature would be to just dump the index.html into the
> docroot.

> Ok, one more and I thnk I'm done.  It would be nice to have an admin
> UI page that setup a cron job for regenerating pages on a regular
> basis.

Maybe Mike tells us why he removed this feature from IC.

> BTW, all of http://www.lathi.net is IC served pages.  I try to
> generate as much of it static as I can.  If you want to see the code
> and try and determine why what's made static I'd be happy to share.

Yeah, it would be great to make Static a real useful feature again.

Ciao
        Racke

--
Racke happily hacks Interchange and maintains Debian packages like Courier.

For projects and other business stuff please refer to COBOLT NetServices