[ic] IC 4.8.2 Segmentation fault and core dumped

Joachim Leidinger interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 11:16:01 2001

Edward Rubottom wrote:

> I still am having the same problem... I have built the latest version of
> perl... (several times) and still Segmentation fault and core dump..
>
> FreeBSD 4.2
>
> I am about to go nutz with this....
>
> Help at this point would be greatly appriceated....
>
> Thanks Eddie

In the another email from Dennis Schoen

------- snip -----------
On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 10:39:01AM +0200, Joachim Leidinger wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I try to use the mailarchives with
> http://developer.akopia.com/cgi-bin/htsearch with no luck. Is the
> mailarchivs down?
>
> I've fetched IC 4.8.2 and after Installation, I get a "segmentation
> fault (core dumped) and I'm missing the v/tlink source from
> /path-to-IC-4.8.2/src! There are no source files of vlink and tlink.
> Why?
> IC 4.8.1 runs fine without any trouble. What is the cause? I use FreeBSD
> 4.3!
>
> Any hints, tips and suggestions are very wellcome!
 I just discussed that issue with mike on irc:

<dennis> mike: any news about the 4.8.2 freebsd bug?
<mike> Which bug would that be?
<dennis> read the mailinglist? :) segfault on startup
<dennis> jojo was the last one who reported it
<mike> Aha, that is a Perl bug
<mike> You have to define setproctitle=define or something when building
<dennis> standard perl in freebsd broken?
<mike> Yes, the distro Perl is broken that is nothing new with
FreeBSD....
<mike> They shipped Perl 4 as the default perl on the system until
December of 1998....
<dennis> 8-)
<mike> Or you can uncomment the $0 = .... lines in bin/interchange,
which is
<mike> what causes the core dump.

Ciao
    Dennis
------- snip -----------

Mike Heins has said "Or you can uncomment the $0 = .... lines in
bin/interchange, which is...".

Edit the file interchange
(/your-path-to-the-interchange/bin/interchange).
And make sure, you have a # in line lines with "$0 = ..." like

------- snip --------
	#undef $Global::DumpStructure;

	if ($Vend::mode eq 'serve') {
		undef $Global::Foreground;

		# Here we prepare enter the daemon mode.
		# Set the $0 to something not having 'perl' (won't
		# work on Solaris and IRIX among possibly others)
		if(defined $Global::Variable->{MV_DOLLAR_ZERO}) {
#jojo
#			$0 = $Global::Variable->{MV_DOLLAR_ZERO};
#			$0 = "interchange --> $Global::VendRoot"
#					if length($0) < 2;
		}
		else {
#jojo
#			$0 = 'interchange';
		}

		# We won't have much output on any of this, but if we get some
		# we want it immediately

Ciao

Joachim

--
Hans-Joachim Leidinger | Dipl.-Phys.Ing. Entwicklung eCommerce
[Hans-Joachim.leidinger@bpanet.de]