[ic] Automatically placing another item in cart when a specific product is ordered

Dave Barr interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 11:46:01 2001

At 10:40 -0400 9/10/01, Christopher VanOosterhout wrote:
>Greetings All,
>
>I have tried to search for this in the archives, but it appears that
>the search function (from the developer Web site) for this list is
>broke.  No matter what I try to search on ... even single terms like
>order and interchange I get (0) zero results.
>
>In any case, here is the question.
>
>I would like certain items in my stores to automatically include
>another item when ordered.  This would serve to purposes for me.
>
>1) Some of our parts require the charge of a deposit.  As an
>example, a bottle of pop.  I would like Interchange to say:  when
>part number pepsi2liter is ordered add the item tencntdeposit to the
>cart.  In our case we have a core charge on major engine parts.  So
>when someone orders a rebuild alternator we would like to
>automatically add to their cart an item called Core Charge Deposit
>for $350.00
>
>2) If figured we could also use this to add specific parts to an
>order as a promotion.  Buy a case of filters ... and it will add
>another filter to the order (with a special part number) at no
>charge.
>
>In either case, can anyone point me to a model, email discussion or
>documentation about how this may have been accomplished in the past?

Check out Ed LaFrance's excellent add-item usertag, I 'believe' it is
now part of the standard distribution...

<SNIP>
DISCUSSION:

[add-item] can be used to place items in the shopping cart without
requiring the user to explicitly click an 'Order' link, submit a
form, etc.  Example:

	[set items]widgetA widgetB widgetC widgetD[/set]

	[loop arg="[scratch items]"]
		[add-item [loop-code]]
	[/loop]
</SNIP>

I have successfully used this tag to do something similar
HTH
Dave