[ic] Tips from Racke

Wed Oct 10 14:27:01 2001

Quoting Ed LaFrance (edl@newmediaems.com):
> At 10:44 AM 10/10/2001 +0200, you wrote:
> >Joachim Leidinger <jojo@blackpoint.de> writes:
> >

> >[...]
> >

> > > Thank you a lot for the lesson! But when should I use [perl] instead of
> > > [calc]?
> > > Why not using [calc] only?
> >
> >While [perl tables="..."] works, [calc tables="..."] does not.
> >Think of [perl] as an extension to [calc].
> >
> >Ciao
> >         Racke
>
> I have wondered about this.  Racke, myself and many others have been around
> long enough to remember the bad old days of [perl arg="scratch values
> session cgi any_other_damn_thing"] and it was nice when that was no longer
> needed.  It is possible that the [perl] tag can be made table/file ready,
> eliminating the need for the tables parameter, or is the price too
> great?

The price is too great. We must pre-open the tables, meaning that we muswt
import them.

> It would be of much benefit, particularly when using the $Tag->
> reference in [perl], because if that $Tag-> touches any tables (like
> $Tag->shipping())you must include all those tables in the tables list
> anyway (at least that was the case in 4.6.x, I admit I have not tried it in
> 4.8).

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on what your DBD driver
does. If it does a runtime require when the DB handle is created, then
it will not and cannot work with Safe.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

If you like what you're gettin', keep doin' what you're doin'. -- Hector