[ic] Tips from Racke

Jeff Carnahan interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Oct 10 15:12:00 2001

} From: Mike Heins
} Quoting Ed LaFrance (edl@newmediaems.com):
} > >
} > >While [perl tables="..."] works, [calc tables="..."] does not.
} > >Think of [perl] as an extension to [calc].
} > >
} >
} > I have wondered about this.  Racke, myself and many others have
} > been around long enough to remember the bad old days of [perl
} > arg="scratch values session cgi any_other_damn_thing"] and it
} > was nice when that was no longer needed.  It is possible that
} > the [perl] tag can be made table/file ready, eliminating the need
} > for the tables parameter, or is the price too great?
}
} The price is too great. We must pre-open the tables, meaning that we muswt
} import them.
}
} > It would be of much benefit, particularly when using the $Tag->
} > reference in [perl], because if that $Tag-> touches any tables (like
} > $Tag->shipping())you must include all those tables in the tables list
} > anyway (at least that was the case in 4.6.x, I admit I have not tried
} > it in 4.8).
} >
}
} Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on what your DBD driver
} does. If it does a runtime require when the DB handle is created, then
} it will not and cannot work with Safe.
}

I just wanted to thank all three of you for this useful chunk of
knowledge, I remember the times where I would become increasingly
frustrated trying to locate my [perl .. ] woes.. =) Thanks!

--
Jeff Carnahan - jcarnahan@networq.com