[ic] url encode question

Joachim Leidinger interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sat Oct 13 15:05:00 2001

Ed LaFrance wrote:
> >does anyone knows, when is a url encoded by IC?
> >I can find a %20 for a whitespace only. But where is %FC (a german
> >umlaut for u with two dots over u like ü) coming from in my URL bar
> >of my browser?
> >
> >Any informations?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Joachim
>
> Joachim -
>
> Was it you who posted a similar question about this issue yesterday?:

Yes! That was me! (or "That was I"? what ist the right englisch phrase?)

> >I noticed a strange misbehavior with NS/IE and WINDOWS.
> >I've NS 6.1, IE 5.5 and WIN 2K!
> >
> >First of all, I get a results page with NS 4.77 for Unix. The URL is
> >
> >http://www.ordnungssinn.de/cgi-bin/shop/scan/su=1/se=Schlüssel
> >(Schlüssel = Schluessel with german umlaut u" like ü = key)
> >
> >With NS under WIN 2K, typing the URL
> >
> >http://www.ordnungssinn.de/cgi-bin/shop/scan/su=1/se=Schlüssel
> >
> >into the URL bar, the URL bar is changing to
> >
> >http://www.ordnungssinn.de/cgi-bin/shop/scan/su=1/se=Schl%C3%BCssel
>
> I was able to duplicate this behavior - but it is not Interchange that is
> doing the conversion, it is Internet Explorer. As you mentioned in your own
> post, the problem does not occur with Netscape Navigator.  You might want
> to search the Microsoft site for reports and/or sotlutions.  Bill Gates
> deserves a giant raspberry for this - down with Windows XP!

The dirty quick solution was a writing an usertag to encode a part of
the url like

[myurlencode][loop-code][/myurlencode]

with

UserTag newurlencode hasEndTag   1
UserTag newurlencode Interpolate 1
UserTag newurlencode Routine <<EOF
sub {
            my ($url) = @_;
                           my ($url) = @_;
                           $url =~ s/ü/\%FC/g;
# u with two dots above
....and so on
                           return $url;
}
EOF

to prevent the misbehavior of the IE Browser. It is for the old MV shop.
In IC, you can use the filter tag like

[filter op=urlencode interpolate=1] Test ü [/filter]

Regarding writing bugs to Microsoft (MS) ...are you so kind to report
the misbehavior of IE to MS?
I fear that MS will not understand me right, because my english is not
well!

ciao

Joachim

--
Hans-Joachim Leidinger | Dipl.-Phys.Ing. Entwicklung eCommerce
[Hans-Joachim.leidinger@bpanet.de]