[ic] Inventory numbers displayed on page

Anton van de Plas interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 21:04:01 2001

Hi Jim,

Luckily the store I need it for only receives orders from resellers, so no
payment problems, just an indicator how many are still in stock. By the way
for those interested I solved the problem: I have added [item-data inventory
quantity] to the flypage.html

Anton

-----Original Message-----
From: interchange-users-admin@interchange.redhat.com
[mailto:interchange-users-admin@interchange.redhat.com]On Behalf Of Jim
Balcom
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2001 8:37 PM
To: interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ic] Inventory numbers displayed on page

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Anton van de Plas wrote:

AvdP>>How could the actual number of the item in stock be shown in stead of
the
AvdP>>"Y". So with 100 in stock it would show "100" when looking at the
AvdP>>description of the item.

If you are using 4.6, it ain't worth it. And, I've been given the impression
that the same is true in 4.8.

Orders don't decrement the inventory count.
A customer can order 1000 even though there are only 15 in stock.

But, correcting this begs a lot of problems.

The person orders 10 units. Does the inventory get decremented when the
person checks out?

Supposing the person is going to mail in payment? Does it still get
decremented at check out? Supposing payment never arrives?

Supposing the person is using a credit card, and we are not getting approval
at the time of the sale and the credit card is declined?

How about if we wait until we change the status of the order when we ship,
and we decrement the inventory then? But, we have shipped out 10 units and
there are only 5 left. But when the next customer comes along the inventory
still shows 15 units, and that customer orders all 15. By that time, there
are only 5 left to ship to the customer, but they don't know that. If the
charge card processing is automatic, then their card gets charged for 15,
but they only get 5.

I don't have a solution!

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Monday, October 15, 2001 at 20:20 PM:
Catacomb (n.) - used for brushing cat hair.